Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rethinking the tattooed bride...

I got another tattoo, this past weekend! It's a twist on the traditional 1940s tattoos, but more updated. Many people are shocked when they found I have tattoos, and I think it's because I have kept them well hidden :-). It wasn't that I was ashamed of them per say, but I was concerned about peoples perception of me when it comes to business (aka getting a j.o.b.). But with this tattoo, I toyed with the idea of getting it in a more visiable place -i.e. what they call the "tramp stamp" area.

Although, I chose to keep it in area for hubbys eyes only - it got me to thinking about when we got married, and how I was soo anti-tattoos showing. I never considered myself conservative, but I do recall having a moment, the day of the wedding when I saw one of my bridesmaids had a tattoo. I didn't snap, but I remember thinking like "awww.. man i should have told her to get that covered up". And thinking back, I think it was funny that it even crossed my mind because I was marrying a man who has a ton of them!

So after getting an extra girlie, tattoo that represents my marriage- I am rethinking the tattoo bride idea. Why are some tattoos brides seen as being "artsy" or "funky" vs other being seen as "ghetto" or "class-less"? However, you choose to answer- I think the question is really for the bride to answer. If I had this super cool tattoo in a more visible place, would I have been so adament about covering it up? Mmmm...maybe not. And tons of brides are going this route as well, choosing not to cover up their body art - it's a trend I don't see it ended anytime soon.

How do you feel about brides showing tattoos ?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a tattoo on my foot and I've been going back and forth trying to figure out what to do about it...still haven't decided.

Cassandra Bromfield's Blogs said...

I have had a few brides with tatts and some wanted to hide them, some didn't care. Brides (moms)seem to be worried, that walking down memory lane (looking at photos) and having regret, that a snake swirling around the neck doesn't go with silk and lace.
I think it is who these women are at the time they are getting married, Tattooed ladies who are getting married. Depending on their personal style the tattoo can be worked into the design and complimented. It can be very nice.

I do think names of Ex boyfriends will be a problem for most grooms.

For the most part I am fine with Tattoos.

Quiana aka Haute Chocolate aka Mrs. B said...

I agree Cassandra,I think thats the case with tattoos period.
The studio I go to, allows kids to get them with parental consent- so I often see younger kids getting these tattoos with folks name, their favorite bball team etc. Im like will G Unit really be your favorite group when your'e 59? LOL

And YES names of Exs SHOULD be a problem for most grooms ! ;-)