Sunday, September 7, 2008

Should Marriage Be About Love or Business?

Hey folks - i came across this post at a ning site that i belong too. You know I had a lot to say after reading it. But what do you think?

"I was recently conversing with a business associate who POPPED THE QUESTION to me. That's not the shocking part of the story. I have known her for about 5 months. We are social friends. We talk politics and money. Nothing to heavy. I don't even know her birthday.
She tells me, word for word, "Let's talk a life long chance (lol) we are both successful, we both have a minds togther, we should get married." I laughed and she didn't, she continues to say, "we will make some smart and beautiful children. We can date if you like but i know i want children and a successful husband. I never wanted love and thats how i made it so far. This can be a business transaction, legal binded by contract on top of a marriage vows. If we promise not to let "love for each other get involved", I think it will last forever."
What the _____ was she thinking. She talks about it all the time and she even told me we can write our own vows that wouldn't include love and romance. Today I told her NO, but she told me she is going to the next Successful Black Man she can fine. Am I a chump for not believing that the reason marriages are failling more these days because they are about love. She said her mother told her that she married her father for political reason and they are still together. Help!!!

P.S. you can check my response here: http://eliteblackprofessional.ning.com

No comments: